Barter Theater, VA
Audition Date: 2/28/11
Callback Date: 3/2/11
Location: Ripley-Grier Studios, NY
Highlight: Getting a callback from my first audition back in the city :)
Lesson Learned: When you haven't danced seriously in oh, say...9 weeks, proceed with caution.
West Side Story Tour (II)
Audition Date: 3/3/11
Location: Chelsea Studios, NY
Highlight: Successfully counting to 12. 8 is soooo last season.
Lesson Learned: I still don't look Latina.
A Chorus Line @ New Bedford Theater, MA
Audition Date: 3/4/11
Location: Ripley-Grier Studios, NY
Highlight: Getting there at 6am? Getting cut 5 minutes in? hmmmm...there's gotta be something I enjoyed about those 5 hours I waited...
Lesson Learned: Ballet class can heal a wounded ego.
A Chorus Line, Tour Audition Date: 3/7/11
Location: Ripley-Grier Studios, NY
Highlight: Getting to work with Baayork Lee. Her voice sounds EXACTLY the same as the same as the cast album. Magical.
Lesson Learned: When you truly commit to a clean pase, sometimes you catch your leg with the heel of your shoe...sometimes its a bruised and heinous mess for 2 weeks.
Guys & Dolls, Tour (big league)
Audition Date: 3/7/11
Location: Pearl Studios, NY
Non-Eq dismissed: Blessing in the end. However much dancing with cramps sounds like fun, it really isn't.
Billy Elliot, Broadway (II)
Audition Date: 3/8/11
Location: Pearl Studios, NY
Highlight: ...it was a bad day...
Lesson Learned: I am not a good enough tapper to audition for Mr. Broadway by myself. Despite what FatBoySlim told you, it is not good to 'push the tempo'.
7 Brides @ Fireside Theater, WI Audition Date: 3/10/11
Callback Date: 3/10/11
Location: NOLA Studios, NY
Highlight: Getting a callback even though I missed 80% of teaching the combination and kinda fell over.
Lesson Learned: Pay attention to where your group is. If they are in the room, you should be too. It's hard to learn a dance from the holding room.
Evita, Broadway
Audition Date: 3/11/11
Location: Ailey Studios, NY
Highlight: Being but 1 degree of separation from Rob Ashford and Ricky Martin. Also, looking really Argentinian.
Lesson Learned: I may not be in a first revival cast tomorrow, but in a few years...I think I can hack it. Tough combo, but stayed right in it with the 30 equity girls in the room. (and had better extension than most of 'em)
Theater Barn, NY Audition Date: 3/12-14/11
Callback Date: 3/14/11
Location: Ripley-Grier (939) Studios, NY
Highlight: Doing real stuff, like a monologue, and reading sides, and getting direction- I've really missed that whole acting thing.
Lesson Learned: Well chosen songs CAN matter. When most sang 8 bars, I got to sing about 50.
Gretna Theater, PA
Audition Date: 3/14/11
Location: NOLA Studios, NY
Didn't actually attend: After waiting OUTSIDE for an hour and a half in 38 degree weather, I was in callbacks at the above theater when my appointment came around. Lost some time that morning, but worth it spend all day with Barn.
Hairspray w/ Jersey Shore, Reno
Audition Date: 3/16/11
Location: NOLA Studios, NY
Highlight: The company not honoring the 'unofficial list' actually working to my advantage for once.
Lesson Learned: I really really don't look 16.
Theater By the Sea, RI
Audition Date: 3/16/11
Location: Chelsea Studios, NY
Typed Out: Three cheers for being honest about the superficiality of the biz.
Young Frankenstein National Tour
Audition Date: 3/17/11
Location: Pearl Studios, NY
Highlight: Tapping the break correctly! Consider my Billy Elliot humiliation redeemed!
Lesson Learned: Good doesn't matter as much as right does.
Maine State Music Theater, ME
Audition Date: 3/17/11
Location: Chelsea Studios, NY
1/2 of Non-Eq dismissed: Was only 10 away from being seen!!! This experience and many more go into the 'earning it' bank account.
Yes folks, all that in only 3 weeks. Mornings have started at 5am, hours waited have gone upwards of 6, and 'did that really just happen' moments have been innumerable. My first taste of 'audition season' in the city: I both love and hate what I see.


No comments:
Post a Comment