Monday, May 23, 2011

Audition Chronicles Pt. 6

Ok friends, here's the deal. I should have put up a "Jobs I Don't Have" post such a long time ago, but have been procrastinating for a few reasons:

1) I'm starting to think that there may be some sort of jinx I'm tempting by saying I don't have the work. As we all know things can come through in this business at any time and there is no kind of guarantee for yes's or no's till contracts are signed and shows are closed. I don't want any negative self-fullfilling prophecies around me.
2) It's depressing. A year ago when I started these, an honest admission of failure seemed cheeky and fun...about 50 some odd auditions later its less charming.
3) Not every audition is that noteworthy. The challenge of coming up with some redeeming quality and some sparkling moment from every audition I go on has become daunting. I have recently come to the decision that things that are unnecessary and stressful do not need to be a part of my life.

I recently filled up my first audition notebook (yes there is a paper copy of what goes up here, which is much more detailed) and with a new embarrassingly juvenile looking notebook, I am officially transitioning into streamlined audition postings with additional notes only when worthy.

April, 2011

12: Cats Tour, dance

13: Footloose @ Cape Playhouse, dance (more proof I don't look like I'm in high school)

13: American Idiot 1st National Tour, dance
     5/20: callback, voice

18: Addams Family 1st National Tour, dance

18: Bring It On Tour, dance

21: My Fair Lady Tour, dance -> voice
     5/16: callback, voice

28: Beauty & the Beast Tour (II), dance -> voice
     29: callback, voice/sides (cover for Wardrobe and Mrs. Potts, learned a valuable lesson in a thorough warm-up through a compelling teacher: embarrassment)

29: Bring It On Tour, vocal

May, 2011

2: In the Heights Tour, dance (good enough to make it through the first cut, white enough to be dropped at the second)

3: Fiddler on the Roof Tour, vocal

9: Brigadoon Tour, dance -> vocal
     11: callback, dance/sides (Meg)

10: Arizona Broadway Theater, vocal -> dance (beautifully un-stressful)

17: Young Frankenstein Tour, vocal (getting a laugh on the third word of your song feels good)

17: Shrek Tour, vocal

19: Addams Family (II), dance

19: Jersey Boys (II), dance (typed out)


so...thats about 60? auditions. As you can see I've been kept to sing a good deal and called back a good deal, very important things. I also have a bit of a landmark in there with American Idiot. Not only is it hilarious that I tricked them into thinking I'm edgy, it's the first ECC I've been kept at and called back for in the city, and the biggest casting agency to see me in callbacks in the city. HURRAY! It was also a good example of patience (about a month from audition to callback).

The next steps seems to be figuring out a way to convert callbacks into contracts...I'll keep working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment