Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Beginning of the End of the Beginning...I think...

Today is the Opening of my Final Show of College!!!!

Ready for the long intro?....The Ray Bolger Musical Theater Program of the Theater Department of UCLA's School of Theater Film and Television proudly presents (cue drum roll) CABARET!
In college I have done 12 musicals, 4 of which have been mainstages (shows with the dept.) and 8 were student productions. Included in this group was a world premiere musical directed by a Tony winner- the infamous, glorious, terrifying enigma that was Homer in Cyberspace, and a revue to benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids with special guest Shoshana Bean... just to name a few. (smugly smiles and tosses hair)

So what makes Cabaret so special? Let's find out with the help of an ACROSTIC POEM!
Costumes that don't include a saggy boob bra.
Actually dancing in a musical.
Busted makeup, like really really nasty.
Almost doing an amazing lift with dear Jordan.
Ridiculous amounts of fro-yo after rehearsals.
Experiencing a powerful story every night.
Texas personified! I'm so committed, I went there for character research.

But really what you need to know about this show- the true reason to see it- the pinnacle of musical theater genius- the glory beheld by those fortunate plebs of the audience----- I get to play a gorilla. A full and vivid account of this (and many other alluring costumes) will be posted once the show closes, but I don't want to ruin any surprises for those who will be attending. To the left is a small sample of the gorilla number...its pretty much the same, just less Bruin color scheme and more hairy neck. Its already on my resumé and gets a stronger response than any other credit. Go figure.

It's gonna be a long night, a long week, a long final push to graduation. But the good news is, I get to do it all in fine style- a garter belt and mic pack! See you at the theater!

p.s. I clearly just figured out how to hyperlink on this thing. Oh, the possibilities!

p.p.s. Why not!

No comments:

Post a Comment