Yes folks, I've taken all of my professional experience, coveted education, and interpersonal skills and channeled them into the glamorous world of temping.
Last week I spent a day at ABC tv taking calls from all over the country concerning all kinds of inane concerns. Other than the normal internal transferees, which are not ridiculous, there were a wide range of complaints and requests many of which left me asking, "you really have time to call in about this?" and in many cases literally saying, "sir/maam, I'm just a temp".
For example:1) woman from Philly threatening to "get all the union folk together and cause a big mess" if I didn't transfer her to the on air reporters who apparently keep referring to the President (disrespectfully) as "Mr. Obama".
2) the adult man who actually cussed me out for sending him to a recording when he had something really important to say about the Dancing with the Stars results for the week...God forbid!
3) the elderly who wanted to explain her decreased quality of life due the lasers that her neighbors had. she couldn't watch tv because her living room was hot from the lasers, she couldn't go into her back yard or she would be hit by the lasers...(goes on for a couple minutes) when she finally stopped all I could think to say was, "Ma'am...I'm not entirely sure what you'd like me to do about this."
4) the nice lady who called prefacing her request with "I know this is really weird and probably ridiculous, but", she had been watching the Oprah where she interviews both former President Bush's and they were at their Texas home, and the couch they were sitting on, well, she really liked the fabric and wanted to know if I knew what it was. I did not. She was very understanding.

Yet all of these paled in comparison to the pomp surrounding THE Regis Philbin. He has apparently recorded a new album and was signing them after the show! How exciting! It was hilarious/ precious to see all the grey-hairs primping and gussying to get ready to meet him. Many make-up compacts and much hair tidying.
This week I also spent the evening coat-checking at the very swanky Setai Hotel. No where near as exciting, but way less verbally abusive.
And MORE things that don't last forever: work performing. The Times Square gig was a lot of fun, very cold, and "hip urban youth" as they billed it. It was more than minimum wage for the 2 days we rehearsed/performed and got free lunch- woohoo! Guest performers were Lady Sovrign (who I had never heard of before) and NE-YO! There ended up being about 400 dancers covering 2 blocks, and lots of screens showing the product and our fly moves. For the official release video of the event- go here!
No comments:
Post a Comment