Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dancing Fancy!

Last week I was privileged enough to participate in something WAY TOO FANCY for little me. It was very adult and professional...I still don't really know how i snuck in :)

One of my dance teachers from school is now choreographing a production of Carnival at a very reputable theater in CT and before she left, wanted to workshop some choreography on local dancers. Now really this means her go-to group of insanely experienced and skilled professionals, but my friend Chris and I got to join in the fun too, despite our lack of B'way credits.

The first day was just me, Chris, and two of the pro's, plus our friend Cami who assists the choreographer. It was my first trip to Madilyn Clark Studios, which could easily be the set of a horror film. It is a strange mix of victorian furniture and 60's mod paintings...but it gets better. They host weddings! You too can be married in their chintzy floral garden with scenic 2ft. waterfalls and plastic upholstered chairs. Once I got over the scariness, magic ensued. We worked a can-can on chairs and some very manly roustabout dancing. The reward (other than feeling very grown-up) was margaritas and shop-talk. Us youngsters got advice, both professional and personal, and a reminder that there are very successful, very generous people in this world who want young artists to succeed. THANK GOD!

Day 2 was at Screenland (much less sketchy) and brought a full group of 9 all-star dancers. The task at hand was a tango of epic proportions. Chris and I just danced on the side for the first hour, working our partnering skills and keeping up with the professional pace. Once the formation took over the choreography, we just watched and learned, soaking up all we could from the beautiful group. I seriously could have spend big bucks to see dancers like that perform. Instead, I was included in the process, got to meet them all, and still see dance at its finest.

Just to give you an idea, the group included principals from Pacific Northwest Ballet, Hubbard Street dancers, dozens of Broadway credits, training from the Joffrey Ballet, and someone from Madonna's Vogue video- I know. It was all I could do to not squeal my way through the night. And every last one a kind and friendly person! It was so obvious that training and dedication go a long way, but there is no substitute for experience. The ease and confidence they all had was a clear sign of veteran status. I only hope I stay in the game long enough to get there myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment